January 13, 2010

Wow,a blog entry about me!

I can do that right? This is a post I had to write for my upcoming Education Psychology class.

Hello Class! My name is Melissa Griffin I live on the beautiful island of Kodiak with my husband and three children. I love to sew, knit, read and take walks on the beach with my family. My journey through college education began over 10 years ago; I always knew I wanted to be a teacher even as young girl. At the time the prime motivating factor for my desire was to be given the freedom to draw on the chalkboard anytime I wanted. Through my formative education years I had many excellent teachers and few not so skilled but I still wanted to teach, even if the chalkboard had been replaced by the white board; dry erase offered so many more colors! And so I began at UAA with an interest in special education, especially in the field of autism. Shortly after graduating high school I met my soon to be husband, we married young and started a family, I had finished two years of college classes. I always intended to go back, but life as a military wife was demanding, with deployments overseas and long hours alone, I simply fell into the rhythm of motherhood and was very content. In 2007 I had a three year old a five year old and a six year old, my oldest was in school full time. I realized I was entering a new stage in my life as mother; I wanted to do something satisfying with my coming freedom and felt personally motivated to finish what I had started. By now we were living in Kodiak, which for me was perfect; distance education fit our lifestyle to a T. I have been plugging along only taking 6 credits at a time, this semester will be my most intensive yet. I have a wonderful support system from my husband, family and friends. Now that all of my children are in school full time, I have many opportunities to volunteer at my kids school where I am surrounded by a talented and wonderful group of motivating teachers. I haven’t decided which age group I would like to teach as of yet but I am focusing on the lower levels of elementary for the time being. I can’t wait to finish my journey.


6 comments:

tsassard said...

It's good that you're young, Missy ... it takes a great amount of energy and fortitude to handle all that you do. I'm so proud to have you as my daughter-in-love.

Mom G.

jennie w. said...

Well, now I know a lot about you too! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

joven said...

hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

Kim said...

I'm totally impressed that you take courses via distance ed. I've done it twice, and it was sooooo hard to finish by the deadline! I had to apply for an extension for the first class, but the second I managed to complete on time.

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

Lowest Unique Bid said...

Impressive blog!!!